The Born Bad compilation series collects together the original music that inspired bands like The Cramps. You can’t go wrong with this series.
It’s a great compilation series if you are curious to hear the original rockabilly and garage punk artists that inspired The Cramps, like Hasil Adkins, Wanda Jackson, Andre Williams, Charlie Feathers, and Richard Berry, with some later 60s groups thrown in every once in awhile, like The Sonics, Tommy James, Paul Revere, and the Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus.
Volume 1 features the original versions of Goo Goo Muck by Ronnie Cook & the Gaylads, Uranium Rock by Warren Smith, The Crusher by The Novas, Rockin’ Bones by Ronnie Dawson, Strychnine by the Sonics and Funnel Of Love by Wanda Jackson.
All songs covered by the Cramps, or in the case of Funnel of Love, members of The Cramps helped Wanda Jackson re-record a version of that song in 2003 on her album Heart Trouble. from
The Bostweeds: Faster, Pussycat! kill! kil
– Ronnie Cook & the Gaylads: Goo Goo Muck
– Link Wray & his Raymen: Fat Back
– Dwight Pullen: Sunglasses after dark
– Glen Glenn: Everybody’s Movin’
– Roy Orbison: Domino
– The Sonics: Strychnine
– The Groupies: Primitive
– Ronnie Dawson: Rockin’ Bones
– The Third Bardo: I’m 5 years ahead of my time
– Warren Smith: Uranium Rock
– Mel Robbins: Save it
– The Novas: The Crusher
– Wanda Jackson: Funnel of love